Re: Question on expressing translations of terms

Hi Felix,

I am not surprised GSDT won't accept your snippet because schema:sameAs is not defined on all schema:Thing.

I don't think we have made much progress on extending (or not) the range of schema:sameAs. To be honest, there's been very little traction there and some people just didn't like the idea and were advocating for the use of owl:sameAs instead.

Not sure what would be the next step though. I would at least prefer having a note somewhere saying explicitly that schema:sameAs shouldn't be used for such scenarios (maybe in [1]?).

Best,
Alexandre

[1] https://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html#mainEntityBackground

> On Sep 5, 2016, at 9:47 AM, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Alexandre and all,
>
> coming back to this old thread … I am working on an implementation generating schema.org markup from term data bases - still with the goal to represent the „translated_as“ relation between terms. The google validation tool gives me for the below input
>
> {
>   "@context": "http://schema.org/",
>   "@id": "http://example.com/my-term-data-base-entry-1",
>   "type" : "schema:Thing",
>  "schema:inLanguage": "ja",
>  "schema:name": "ページ",
>  "schema:sameAs": {
>    "@id": "http://example.com/my-term-data-base-entry-2",
>    "type" : "schema:Thing",
>    "schema:inLanguage": "en",
>    "schema:name": "page"
>  } }
>
> The attached error messages. How could I adapt the example? Or is this an issue with the tool?
>
> Best,
>
> Felix
>
> <validation-errors.pdf>
>

>> Am 17.03.2016 um 15:35 schrieb Alexandre Bertails <bertails@apple.com>:
>>
>> Felix,
>>
>> We are currently trying to solve a very similar problem. My plan is to use schema:sameAs for that. Applied to your example:
>>
>> {
>>  "@id": "http://example.com/my-term-data-base-entry-1",
>>  "@type": "schema:Term",
>>  "schema:inLanguage": "en",
>>  "schema:name": "screwdriver",
>>  "schema:sameAs": {
>>    "@id": "http://example.com/my-term-data-base-entry-2",
>>    "schema:inLanguage": "de",
>>    "schema:name": "schraubendreher"
>>  }
>> }
>>
>> Conceptually, the 2 entities really denote the same thing. Granted, our usage of schema:sameAs is not exactly what's described in https://schema.org/sameAs but there are reasons why we prefer to stay within the schema.org realm. And owl:sameAs would bring a lot of baggage with it which we are not interested in.
>>
>> Also, I think schema:translation would be too specific. Personally, I would be happy if the definition of schema:sameAs was less about web pages.
>>
>> Best,
>> Alexandre

>>> Yes, that was the original question. A further comment below.

>>> In my use case (see below) I need to differentiate uniquely (= via URIS) between
>>>
>>> 1) terms in language X,Y,Z
>>> 2) common = language agnostic concepts that they denote