Bibliographic Works (was: Leaping aliases or Property aliases in Schema.org)

Thanks! That looks well-thought-out. I have a feeling Google’s structured-data app won’t respect those, though.

I run a web site that reviews short science fiction. We make extensive use of structured data in order to get Google to generate smart snippets. Here’s an example of a single review (one of thousands):

http://www.rocketstackrank.com/2016/10/The-Eye-of-the-Swan-Kelly-Robson.html

I’ve attached our document that describes how we used structured data, if anyone is interested.

Google likes the markup we do; they display our smart snippets and our pages do well in searches, often outranking the authors’ own web pages. So in that sense, we don’t actually have a problem. Not right now, anyway.

However, we like to do things right. If nothing else, it offers some protection against the future. Right at the moment, the things I worry about are:

1)      We make each short story a CreativeWork because there is no more precise type for text.

2)      We make anthologies PublicationIssue not Book because books must have authors. Also, if I recall correctly from the last time I tried this, Google rejects the idea that a book can have creative works as parts.

3)      We don’t mark up our monthly summaries at all, even though they’re rich with data, because each entry is an abbreviated review of a short story, so none is quite complete as far as the Review type goes. http://www.rocketstackrank.com/2016/10/october-2016-ratings.html

We’ve put a good bit of effort into trying to get all of this right, so it’s painful to have things that (to my way of thinking) can’t ever be right. Or which I simply don’t know how to make right.

If there’s a better way to do this, I’d be very happy to hear it. Again, it’s not urgent; what we’re doing now works very well for us. We just don’t want it to abruptly stop working because Google make their system more sophisticated.

--Greg