Re: Extension proposal for TouristAttraction class

Hi Angelica,

My thoughts are on similar lines to Thad’s.

The proposal seems to be addressing three areas of concern:

   - Identifying a Place - natural or man made - as a TouristAttraction
      - As Thad suggests it would be a place that is famous in some way.
      The difference say between a bagel shop and *the* bagel shop that
      sold the first New York Bagel.
      - Providing the properties that would help the description of a Place
   that are applicable to a TouristAttraction.
   - Increasing the number of specific Place Types and or properties to
   better describe them as Places that would be of interest to a tourist.

Your student’s proposal conflates these three concerns together by creating
specific subclasses of ArtificialCulturalAttraction and NaturalAttraction
and then creating yet more subtypes of those.

As Thad references, we have within Schema.org the capability to use
multiple Types when describing an entity (MTEs).  As we already have the
http://schema.org/TouristAttraction type, it  is already possible to define
any other type as a TouristAttraction.  To pick an extreme example you
could potentially define a Person as a TouristAttraction:

{

   “@type”: [“Person”,”TouristAttraction”].

   “description”: “Human statue, painted silver and dressed as the Statue
of Liberty.  Can be found near Central Park most days”,

   “address”: “Columbus Circle, New York, NY,”

}

As I say an extreme example but it demonstrates the principle.

Using this approach, you would first describe the entity - Mountain,
Museum, AmusementPark, City, Bridge, etc. - then you would additionally
define it as a type TouristAttraction.  This would also relive the proposal
from the general need of identifying new types in the vocabulary that may
or may not be potential tourist attractions.

This brings me to the proposed ArtificialCulturalAttraction and
NaturalAttraction types.  The Naturalness or artificialness of a Thing
comes from what it is, not from what sort of tourist attraction it might
be.  Mountains, rivers, etc. are natural,  buildings, bridges, amusement
parks are in general not.  The proposal to add Beach, which I support by
the way, should be on the grounds that it is a type of LandForm missing
from the vocabulary in general, not that it is only a type that
tourists would be interested in. I therefore believe that these proposed
types are unnecessary.

As to desirable new properties for the existing TouristAttraction Type,
I concur with the need to add a property to indicate free entrance.
Instead of creating a new property however, I would suggest that we reuse
the already existing property isAccesibleForFree
<http://schema.org/isAccessibleForFree>, used on CreativeWork and Event,
adding to its domainIncludes and tweaking its description. I would also
suggest that instead of only restricting its use to TouristAttractions, it
is added to Place to provide broader benefit.

For other properties, being a subtype of Place provides many applicable
ones anyway, such as review, openingHoursSpecification, etc.  One question
I would consider is that tourist attractions are often grouped together -
on a Tourist Trail for instance.  So should we consider creating a
TouristRoute subtype of TouristAttraction then using containsPlace &
containedInPlace to build the relationship between the route and individual
attractions.

So in summary, I am suggesting that:

   - we use MTE’s and the current TouristAttraction Type to indicate that
   something is a tourist attraction
   - ArtificialCulturalAttraction and NaturalAttraction are unnecessary
   - New types to describe things not currently in Schema (that are
   potential tourist attractions) should be proposed in a none tourist
   specific way.
   - isAccesibleForFree <http://schema.org/isAccessibleForFree> should be
   extended to Place
   - We should look at other tourist specific modelling such as
   TouristRoute.

If the proposal was reworked as I suggest, I don’t think it would
necessarily warrant the creation, yet, of a tourism.schema.org extension
and may just be a proposal for enhancing the core.

Thanks again for the value input from you and your student - maybe they
would benefit from joining the conversation.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com