From: Jarno van Driel<mailto:jarnovandriel@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2016 8:59 AM
To: Hans Polak<mailto:info@polak.es>
Subject: Re: How to encode a product family?

"Could you not refer to the manufacturer's page for asserting  such a relationship?:"

Oh, one could definitely do so but the problem I keep running into on large scale e-commerce sites is that the product data they receive/have in 99% of the cases doesn't contain any 'product family' nor any 'manufacturer's page' information. Which is a serious issue for sites containing more than 100k products as on that scale it isn't feasible to manually find/add such information.

What happens in these cases is that such parties write algo's that compare products based on the information they do have ('name', 'brand' and some string information) to 'sort of' deduct what the product family is. But since the outcome of such algo's often contain a certain error rate it's nearly impossible to state these fall under the same product model.

The end result more often than not is an approximated grouping these businesses internally call product families and which most of the time differ from the product manufacturers state are part of a product model line.

Something that makes me wonder for a long time already whether we should have ProductFamily type to accommodate this type of grouping.

Hi Alexandre,

Could you play around with it here https://generator-1260.appspot.com/ProductModel ?

I'd love to get more feedback.

Cheers,