Re: How to encode a product family?

On 3 May 2016 at 16:22, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@apple.com> wrote:

>> On May 3, 2016, at 8:18 AM, Dan Brickley <danbri@google.com> wrote:
>>
>> +Martin Hepp
>>
>> On 3 May 2016 at 16:01, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@apple.com> wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> I am trying to encode the following things in Schema.org:
>>>
>>> 1. "iPhone is a Product family."
>>>
>>> 2. "iPhone 6s is part of the iPhone Product family."
>>>
>>> 3. all the Products of a Product family would be related to each other (schema:isRelatedTo), and/or similar to each other (schema:isSimilarTo).
>>>
>>> Except for 3., I cannot find something that would capture exactly the notion of Product family.
>>

>> You might look at http://schema.org/ProductModel and isVariantOf ("A
>> pointer to a base product from which this product is a variant. It is
>> safe to infer that the variant inherits all product features from the
>> base model, unless defined locally. This is not transitive.") and
>> predecessorOf/successorOf (which I now see should be marked as mutual
>> inverses, issue filed as
>> https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1142 ).
>>
>> I guess you'd need to figure out the constant "essence of iPhone" and
>> make a generic ProductModel for that, and then relate them. I'm not
>> sure how deep you'd want this to go e.g. I have an (excellent if
>> ageing) iPad Mini, presumably part of an iPad Product family; would se
>> use isSimilarTo vs iSvariantOf to link iPhone and iPad families
>> together?
>
> Alright, it seems like people agree that ProductModel is the right thing :-)
>
> I agree that the properties defined on ProductModel (e.g. isVariantOf) capture the right notions, but I'm not 100% convinced by the definition of ProductModel captures well the product family notion.
>
> Maybe this could be added to the main definition? What do you think?

Yeah that sounds about right. Let's see what Martin says too though.

Looking at old GR docs,
http://wiki.goodrelations-vocabulary.org/Documentation/Product_variants
has a very similar (apple laptop hardware familes) use case for
ProductOrServiceModel (I believe this = schema:ProductModel).

Another exercise maybe worth exploring would be to go through the
iPhone range and see how the different variations are reflected into
well known identifiers e.g. the GS1 gtins (gtin8/12/13/14).

Dan