Re: How to encode a product family?

+Martin Hepp

On 3 May 2016 at 16:01, Alexandre Bertails <bertails@apple.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I am trying to encode the following things in Schema.org:
>
> 1. "iPhone is a Product family."
>
> 2. "iPhone 6s is part of the iPhone Product family."
>
> 3. all the Products of a Product family would be related to each other (schema:isRelatedTo), and/or similar to each other (schema:isSimilarTo).
>
> Except for 3., I cannot find something that would capture exactly the notion of Product family.

You might look at http://schema.org/ProductModel and isVariantOf ("A
pointer to a base product from which this product is a variant. It is
safe to infer that the variant inherits all product features from the
base model, unless defined locally. This is not transitive.") and
predecessorOf/successorOf (which I now see should be marked as mutual
inverses, issue filed as
https://github.com/schemaorg/schemaorg/issues/1142 ).

I guess you'd need to figure out the constant "essence of iPhone" and
make a generic ProductModel for that, and then relate them. I'm not
sure how deep you'd want this to go e.g. I have an (excellent if
ageing) iPad Mini, presumably part of an iPad Product family; would se
use isSimilarTo vs iSvariantOf to link iPhone and iPad families
together?

Dan