Re: Happy New Year from your friends at Wordnik

Hi Erin !

Let me also CC in the Schema.org mailing list to get you some grounding on
things (and have others help out here as well).

That's great news that you have at least heard about it and thinking of
using Schema.org with Wordnik.com.

Wordnik.com (now a non-profit) could use some Schema.org love....ideally
you would use JSON-LD.  (I used Wordnik's API in the past, very cool.)

Reference Schema.org mailing list thread discussing online dictionaries
last year, to begin everyone's journey:
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vocabs/2015Apr/0028.html

The basics I could think of for Wordnik would be uses or extension points
at:
https://schema.org/Thing
https://schema.org/Language ??

Where Thing - name is any "word" in a language, and to start we would just
need to add an additional Type such as

http://linguistics-ontology.org/gold/2010/LexicalItem <-- The most fitting
form for Wordnik I would think and other online dictionaries ?

Other helpful additional Types would be:

http://linguistics-ontology.org/gold/2010/SyntacticWord
http://linguistics-ontology.org/gold/2010/OrthographicWord
http://linguistics-ontology.org/gold/2010/Term
http://linguistics-ontology.org/gold/2010/LexicalizedConcept

That's my starting help for you, I'll leave others on the list to chime in
and take it from there.  I don't think a Schema.org extension for this is
necessarily warranted, but it might be useful to create one, just to
understand and merge those useful/needed GOLD concepts to Schema.org
types/properties ... and in doing so, help other online dictionary vendors,
such as Wordnik, etc.

Thoughts ?

Thad