Re: Schema usage and licensing

(Schema.org) URIs are identifiers, and identifiers are seldom
copyrightable, otherwise we would all be in violation linking to any
website, storing phone numbers or writing down someones name.

To be copyrightable, the item must be considered a Creative Work.

(A copyrightable URL could be one that includes content, like a data: URL
with an image, or ?text=some-kind-of-assay....very-long )

So if you just use schema.org terms (or in general any URIs) in your markup
and annotations, no attribution is needed and you do not need to worry
about the license. You are even free to use the wrong terms ;)

(Note that trademarks could still apply to identifiers, e.g.  you might not
want to have properties like http://example.com/coca-cola/ )

Identifiers and attributes organized into a system / database, such as the
hierarchy of a controlled vocabulary, or ontology *can* be copyrightable
(but this varies by country).

So if you cloned all the schema.org relations, such as the listing
subclasses and properties, then to be safe in all countries, you should
include Creative Commons license (e.g.  by URL) and attribution, e.g. in
your file headers.

Copying just a particular relationship is in the grey zone as it might not
be considered a Work, (if you are not reproducing significant parts ofnthe
organised system). However in the EU this could still trigger database
copyright regulations.

If you copy some or all the textual documentation from schema.org (beyond a
"fair use" quotation where applicable), then you MUST follow the Creative
Commons license and give attribution and list the license URL. You must
also note any modifications you have done.

Copying the whole schema.org JSON-LD @context file should similarly require
attribution (which it should already have?), while copying a few
definitions would not.

I Am Not A Lawyer etc. :)

Look at the Creative Commons FAQ for more details.

As to who should get attribution that depends on the stated copyright
holder. In practice including just Source: http://schema.org is probably
sufficient.