Re: Non-schema.org ontologies

This is a fantastic question by Tim. The whole point to the domain
system is to have distributed domains. Despite the many efforts to try
and categorize the entire world, schema.org is not the best place for
all standards in the world.

I have followed the food/cooking/recipe standard development and
starting to look at the legal. This effort to not allow extensible
standards that look to others is a mistake. I had a discussion about
kosher food (and I have sometimes lived in and visited kosher homes and
kitchens). Right now in the US, this is best dealt with by using
trademarks (which usually have organizations with domains). It seemed
silly to me to have people in the schema.org community explain to me
that they were just interested in having something generic. This to me
is a major mistake in understanding the whole point to ontologies and
usable machine readable standards. But it is a good way to keep legal
and subject matter folks view schema.org usable for anything besides a
folksonomy (and sometimes a poor one at that).

By the way, not only are there competing authorities on kosher food and
preparation, there are sub-designations that make using a generic tag
nonsensical. Note that a recipe with all "kosher" ingredients would be
rendered not kosher without noting things that relate to type, whether
prepared in a kosher kitchen, how they are prepared, what can be mixed,
etc, etc. I use this as an example of an effort in schema.org that
should never, ever, be dealt with by schema.org.

Please answer Tim's question.

Thanks,

Daniel Bennett
daniel@citizencontact.com