Re: Third sector services extension?

On 22 August 2016 at 13:24, Jen Williams <jen@networkedplanet.com> wrote:
> Hi schema.org community,
>
> Recently at Barcamp Nonprofits (http://barcampnonprofits.com/) we had a
> session on making services discoverable, which had grown out of previous
> discussions from the unconference scene in the UK (Open Data Camp and VCSS
> Camp). Obviously schema.org came up as part of that discussion.
>
> What we'd like to know is whether anyone is spearheading the creation of a
> schema.org extension for describing the services provided by third
> (voluntary) sector organisations. If no one is, what's the best way to get
> one started?
>
> It sounds like this might overlap with some of the work done by the Open
> Referral project over in the US (the Open Eligibility project certainly is a
> great taxonomy to use as a starting point) and our first step of course is
> to make sure that work isn't being duplicated while at the same time
> providing terms and descriptions for NFP services that go beyond the human
> services focused on in the Open Referral project (e.g. environmental and so
> on).
>
> Can anyone give more info on whether this has been or is being looked into
> by schema.org? If so, what's the history and progress? We'd like to lend our
> time and support to extending schema.org coverage of the voluntary sector.

Sounds like everyone's said almost everything I could think to say on
this :) Seems like a great topic for deeper attention. It might be the
right sized topic for a W3C community group....

One thought - is there any connection with Open 311?
https://www.mysociety.org/2013/01/17/open311-explained/
http://www.open311.org/2015/06/highlights-from-the-open311-ecosystem/ etc?

Dan