Re: Itemref on parent entities within the same scope should not inherit itemprop value of the target

Dear Alexandros:

<link itemprop="propertyName" href="<URL>" />

is the proper and needed way for modeling properties that have URIs as their value.

This should not break existing page rendering.

meta and link are needed, because sometimes there are no matching HTML elements for visual content.

Adding new elements and attributes is an essential pattern that all syntaxes for embedding structured data into HTML, except for microformats, share - be it Microdata or RDFa.

As far as I can see, there is no simple way around this, at least as soon as the visible content and the embedded data are not structurally and content-wise perfectly equivalent.

But there is hope: The increasing understanding of JSON-LD by search engines means you will be able to simply inject JSON-LD data snippets into <script> elements, without adding any additional HTML elements or attributes.

Best wishes

Martin

martin hepp  http://www.heppnetz.de
mhepp@computer.org          @mfhepp