Re: Schemas for Opinions of Federal Courts

On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Sam Deskin <sam@openjurist.org> wrote:

> Hi Thad,
>

> I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me.  I see why you might
> suggest Assess and React Action, but I think that I would be shoehorning
> judicial opinions into them.

​Not at all, Actions are supposed to be fairly generic, and all
stakeholders and current clients treat them this way.  "about" just becomes
more important to give context to them..so make sure not to skip using that
property...as well as "sameAs".
​

> Creating a new extension might be the best option, but I am not sure that
> it would be of much benefit to search engines or the public.  I am
> ambivalent about creating a new extension if search engines will not have
> any interest in it because there is ONE or very few websites using it.

​Someone has to start the long tail domain discussions...and it is this
very reason that the stakeholders say "if you build it...we will gather".
In fact, that mantra is automatic as long as your robots.txt allows anyone
to gather your structured data.  Don't be a pessimist, is my advice and the
stakeholders advice when we are talking about the long tail domains such as
Law, Sub-sciences, Metalworking, Craftmaking, Water caves, or Amur leopards
(only 20 around in the world).
​

> Is there a way to determine whether the search engines’ “somewhat
> interested” attitude toward a Law extension would translate into use in
> search results?

​See above answer: YES
​

> These are the Properties that I can envision:
>
> Court
>
> Plaintiff-Appellant
>
> Third-Party Plaintiff-Appellant
>
> Defendant-Appellee
> Third Part Defendant-Appellee
>
> Citation(s)
>
> Docket Number
>
> Date Argued
>
> Date Decided
>
> Attorneys for Plaintiff-Appellant
>
> Attorneys for Third-Party Plaintiff-Appellant
>
> Attorneys for Defendant-Appellee
>
> Attorneys for Third Part Defendant-Appellee
>
> Judge/Justice Hearing Matter
> Judge/Justice Delivering Opinion
>
> Holding
>
> Area of Law
>
> Country of Jurisdiction
>
> Region of Jurisdiction
>
> Company(ies) Mentioned
>
> Individual(s) Mentioned
>
> Cases Cited
>
> Cases Citing
>

> How do these sound to you?

​Those sound fine...it is extensive however, and in places it might be too
USA-centric...but that is ok for now, because this is your domain.  What we
will probably do is 1st round on an extension, is pick the most important
properties (
search filters
​)​
 useful to folks​ globally.  It can always be further extended later or
modified later.

Thad
​