Re: Uniquely identifying series and issues

On Mon, Oct 05, 2015 at 05:42:44AM +0000, hha1@cornell.edu wrote:
> Hi folks,  I see the following as intro text to the "ComicIssue" schema:
> "All comic issues can be uniquely identified by: the combination of the name
> and volume number of the series to which the issue belongs; the issue number;
> and the variant description of the issue (if any)."
>
> Is reliable unique identification a goal?  While you can get fairly close, it
> is not possible in all cases without pulling in a lot more fields (and even
> then, probably not).  Also, there's no consistent concept or description of a
> "volume" among comics publishers.  I can go into more detail but only if unique
> identification of either series or issues is a concern.

I thought we took that text from the proposal that you collaborated on with
Peter wayyyy back as general guidance to people making use of the proposed
schema, so if it's a gross over-exaggeration or causes more harm than help, we
can change or remove it.

My instinct when talking about "unique identifiers" would be to use URLs (and
schema:url or schema:sameAs) whenever possible anyway, e.g.
http://www.comics.org/issue/815101/ and http://www.comics.org/issue/868226/
which would then (hopefully) be able to be dereferenced to provide the meat of
the description anyway.