Re: Completing schema:article

Thad and Dan -

On 10/31/13 11:14 AM, Thad Guidry wrote:
> Dan is correct.
>
> You will need to create both a Magazine and a Journal type among others.
>   Just like we have in Freebase already

I'm always uneasy about the split between "magazine" and "journal". Plus
"periodical" covers both (as well as newspapers, newsletters, etc.). The
academic world always insists on the term "scholarly article" to
distinguish these from commercial publications and magazines. However,
there are databases that index both types of publications and do not
distinguish between them -- they all have a title, an ISSN, dates and/or
numbering, with articles with authors, titles, page numbers. We should
think about the case when it isn't possible to distinguish between types
of periodical publications when marking up data algorithmically. Plus,
I've never been in a discussion where we could all agree on where to
draw the line between journals and magazines. The extremes are easy -
Vogue vs. Acta Metallurgica. But then you always have Science Magazine.
Magazine, or Journal? How important is it to decide when marking up the
data? What is the use case that would guide such a decision?

Note that under schema:CreativeWork there is already schema:Article with
sub-types:

newsArticle
ScholarlyArticle
TechArticle

>     Rather than adding these to Article, perhaps we need to link to a new
>     "schema:Magazine" (or Journal, or Periodical, or Serial, as we go
>     deeper down the bibliographic well and try to support newspapers and
>     comics that don't seem like a clean conceptual fit with the term
>     "Magazine")

Again, newspapers and scholarly articles are already in schema, but not
in a very useful way. "Magazine", IMO, is not definable. Also, the
comics folks are already working on their own schema:

http://www.w3.org/wiki/WebSchemas/PeriodicalsComics

They seem to be primarily interested in the issue (which is what is on
the newsstand). I believe that what libraries will care most about in
terms of user services is individual articles. (Internally of course
they track issues, but I consider that function to be out of scope.)
Because special issues are sometimes noted in the databases that
libraries subscribe to, it should be possible to include those. However,
that begs the question of whether there is a title for the special issue
(not uncommon), and where to put that. (I'd have to look at some
databases and see what they do with those -- anyone have some handy?)

that descends from CreativeWork with the addition of:

>     * name (no need for journalTitle any more)
>     * ISSN
>     * issuance (or issueIdentifier or something) -> schema.org:Issue which
>     in turn contains
>     ** issueVolume
>     ** issueNumber
>     ** ... do we also need one or more properties to capture those
>     enumerations and chronologies that rely on Season / Year rather than
>     volumes and numbers?

1) publicationDate exists in schema:CreativeWork, so that could hold the
season, year, and other myriad ways that periodicals count their issues
(including combinations of the above).

I realize that some (many?) publication patterns are more complex than
that, but somehow we've managed with these few in most systems for a
good long time, and most people seem to have some understanding of what
they mean. I don't think we can take it one more level without creating
great confusion.

2) I don't see a particular need for the intervening "issuance" level.
Date, volume and number should do it.

3) are you thinking that this the idea?

<periodical (or some such term)
<scholarlyArticle>
    <author>
    <name>
    <Journal>
       <name>
       <issn>
       <publishedDate>
       <volume>
       <number>
    <pages>

Or would the outer wrapper be the journal (or whatever we call it), with
the article within that? (That makes sense to me, but is generally the
opposite of citation formats and displays.)

It shouldn't be hard to test this against some real displays. This will
mean making modifications to the subclassing of the current article and
its subclasses.

kc

--
Karen Coyle