Re: Completing schema:article

Hi Karen:

On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 10:44 AM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Shlomo mentioned that he needs markup for articles as well as monographic
> creative works. There is a subclass of CreativeWork for article, but it is
> minimal:
>
> articleBody (which is intended for the actual text of the article)
> articleSection (like a newspaper section, or "Letters")
> wordCount
>
> Another subclass, scholarly article, doesn't any any new properties. Looking
> at how one makes the connection between articles and OpenURL resolvers, it
> looks like we need to add these to schema:Article:
>
> ISSN
> journalVolume
> journalNumber
> journalTitle

Rather than adding these to Article, perhaps we need to link to a new
"schema:Magazine" (or Journal, or Periodical, or Serial, as we go
deeper down the bibliographic well and try to support newspapers and
comics that don't seem like a clean conceptual fit with the term
"Magazine") that descends from CreativeWork with the addition of:

* name (no need for journalTitle any more)
* ISSN
* issuance (or issueIdentifier or something) -> schema.org:Issue which
in turn contains
** issueVolume
** issueNumber
** ... do we also need one or more properties to capture those
enumerations and chronologies that rely on Season / Year rather than
volumes and numbers?

Alternately, rather than a separate schema:issuance property, those
could be optional properties on the proposed
Magazine/Journal/Periodical/Serial.

> We also need a starting page or page range. schema:newspaperArticle has
> "printPage" and that might suffice.
>
> There already is a URL property inherited from Thing, but I wonder if that
> will be sufficient for the ubiquitous DOIs which often aren't presented in
> their URL form. Although I'm not sure about adding a specific property for
> DOI, I'm sure that many would find it useful.

Per http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemabibex/2012Dec/0028.html
I think / hope we agreed that the microdata @itemid / RDFa @resource
properties would suffice for DOIs and other potential identifiers?