Re: Holdings-as-Offer: more complete examples

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 9:38 AM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
> Dan, this is great.

Thanks!

> I think I can do documentation for it -- something
> simple. I'll start that on the wiki unless someone else wants to do it.
> Oddly enough, I actually like doing documentation.

I don't think that's odd at all; I spent a number of years as a tech
writer and information architect :)

Before you dive in too deep, we should probably kick around some
basics: when you say "something simple", what kind of documentation do
you think is needed? What kind of audience do you have in mind, and
why are they reading this documentation? How much familiarity do they
have with structured data and the particulars of microdata and RDFa,
linked data, vocabularies and ontologies in general and schema.org in
particular? Are these docs meant to live on the W3C community site, or
to be published elsewhere?

I was hoping to flesh out the current Holdings-as-Offer recommendation
document (which I would argue is currently pretty simple, albeit
terse) with a targeted audience of library/archive/museum system
developers who have heard about this schema.org / schemabibex thing
and who want to (or have been told to) make their system play nicely
with the Holdings-as-Offer approach, which also necessitates exposing
their Library data. I would assume a basic level of familiarity with
schema.org and microdata / RDFa (but will provide pointers to relevant
resources where they can learn more) and focus on the mappings. It
would be nice to have these level of document eventually live on the
schema.org site, but it could evolve on the W3C community site for the
time being.