Re: journal article for next call?

On 11/28/13 9:20 AM, Owen Stephens wrote:

> As far as I'm aware generally library practice throws the pagination
> with other aspects of 'extent'  so I'm not sure how far we need to worry
> about these (the way libraries express pagination of books vs the way
> they express extent)  - this may suggest a more general property (cf
> dc:extent of course)

Owen,

"extent" as an addition to schema.org was discussed some time back but
didn't gain traction. Here's one post, but a search gets other sets as well:

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemabibex/2013Feb/0173.html

I still favor it (regardless of what it is called) at the CreativeWork
level so it can be inherited by all, although more specific properties
have been added for sound and film.

> I think OpenURL has the right idea in terms of having start/end page as
> specific things outside a more textual description of pages. However
> this start/end ignores the issue that for an article (whether in a
> journal or a newspaper) are not necessarily continuous.

Oh, how I wish you had been there! :-) The majority of the folks on the
OpenURL committee were interested primarily (read: exclusively) in
academic materials, where articles are virtually always on a continuous
set of pages. "Magazines" (those lowly things) were therefore not
considered worthy of OpenURL markup, although the "pages" property
allows one to give a text string like "15, 17-19". Note that in schema,
the markup for newspaper articles does allow for the jumping between
pages to complete an article.

kc

This is

--