Re: journal article for next call?

On Wed, Nov 27, 2013 at 2:56 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:

> On 11/27/13 9:06 AM, Dan Scott wrote:
>

>> However, in reviewing the comics proposal and considering these other
>> kinds of CreativeWorks that might be contained in a broader sense of
>> Periodical, perhaps the proposed Issuance property of "article", which
>> has a range of Article and is described as "An article contained in
>> this issue" is too specific? I do like the clarity of the current
>> proposal for handling most magazine / journal requirements, and am
>> wary of trying to satisfy too generic a need, but perhaps "article"
>> goes away and we just rely on the Collection "hasPart" property to
>> point at the CreativeWorks.
>

> I think the concept of "article" is so strong in some communities (e.g.
> STEM) that it should be kept as a property.

I could buy that. It certainly covers one of the most common use cases!

>>> So we might have been saying the same
>>> thing. But I agree that Issuance-sub-Collection doesn't make sense, and
>>> I'm
>>> not sure that Issuance should have article page numbers, because I see
>>> that
>>> as a property of the article itself. That said....
>>

>> I'm standing behind "pagination" as an Issuance-level property,
>> because we've seen in a number of examples so far of periodicals that
>> have continuing paginations (e.g. issue 1 has pages 1-150, issue 2 has
>> pages 151-300, etc), and the journal issues as displayed by the
>> publisher and various discovery layers feel that it is important
>> enough to include the pagination in the current displays.
>

> I found an example of this, and will add it to the examples page.

Yeah. Good old Taylor & Francis, which I pointed at early on, does
this with "Cataloging & Classification Quarterly", which I think you
pointed at early on:
http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/wccq20?open=51&repitition=0#vol_51

Collaboration!

>  We need
>>
>> "pagination" rather than Book's "numberOfPages" because there is no
>> way of knowing if the pagination is continuing or not with a plain
>> Integer value.
>

> Even "numberOfPages", as I pointed out earlier, is not appropriate for
> library book cataloging. ONIX includes number of pages, but library data
> contains pagination. In the OpenURL schema for journals there are start
> page, end page (for where they are separated and presumably numeric) and
> "pages" for the information as a character string. (I'd love to know the
> stats on usage of those!)
>
> http://alcme.oclc.org/openurl/servlet/OAIHandler/extension?verb=GetMetadata&metadataPrefix=mtx&identifier=info:ofi/fmt:kev:mtx:journal
>
> I presume that the library cataloging treatment of "pagination" is not
> widely used elsewhere.

It does have some usage in wikipedia, both in the Pagination article
(surprise, heh) and the Page Numbering article. But if we switch over
to citations as the domain of interest, "pagination", and "page(s)"
are used in describing APA format in at least one guide [1] and "Page
Numbers" is used for MLA in a different (library sourced) guide [2]. I
like "pagination" as a pretty precise term that starts with "pag*" and
avoids the pluralization that schema.org appears to be trying to avoid
in general that would result from "pageNumbers" or "pages". We could
make those singular, but most of the time the property will be
referring to more than one page... and somewhere the universe will
shudder!

I suppose to make this authoritative we should track down the APA &
MLA & other original citation style sources rather than the freely
available online guides. Perhaps a trip to my local library is in my
near future :)

1. https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/07/
2. http://library.austincc.edu/help/mla/#basicrules