Re: journal article for next call?

On 11/27/13 7:12 AM, Antoine Isaac wrote:

>> On 11/26/13 4:48 PM, Antoine Isaac wrote:
>>> Dear all
>>>
>>> It strikes me that "issuance" is a sub-class of Collection in the
>>> proposal:
>>> [
>>>   Thing > CreativeWork > Collection > Issuance
>>> ]
>>> It will be the case for journal issues made of articles, but for other
>>> periodicals (comics?) it may not be true.
>>
>> Wouldn't this imply that Periodical is a sub-class of Collection? The
>> other question is: do we anticipate that "Issuance" will be used with
>> any resources other than Periodical resources? The answer to that
>> question could be significant for its placement in Schema.
>

> No. X is a sub-class of Y implies that every X is a Y. So if there's an
> issue that is not a collection, then issue is not a sub-class of
> collection.

So you are distinguishing between "issue" and "issuance"? Maybe I need
an example, because I understood "issue" to be one of the properties of
"issuance." So now I'm just confused ;-).

> And I see nothing that would intuitively warrant that all issues of a
> periodical are themselves collections of stuff. But perhaps I'm wrong,
> and you're using 'periodical' in a much narrower meaning than the one
> I'm used to (I'm not a librarian, I confess ;-) ).

I actually prefer to keep collection and periodical separate. In my
librarian-ish (but not so precise as a cataloger's) mind, a collection
is a finite group, and a periodical is, as the cataloging rules now call
it, a "continuing resource." A periodical as conceived has no ending
point -- it goes on as long as it goes on. A collection is a planned
grouping with a beginning and an end.

That said, some collections (the 7 volumes of Proust) weren't entirely
spelled out from their first publication. We can, however, assume that
even Proust knew that he wouldn't go on writing to infinity. (WEll,
perhaps we can assume that -- he was a bit strange, after all.)

kc