Re: InstanceOf/derivativeOf

Richard, regarding your model, I think it depends much on how Work is
defined. If Work is defined the way it is in BIBFRAME, then:

Story
Story in English

are part of bibframe:Work, and the story in English is not an instance
of the story. Instance comes into use only when the Work comes into
being (in the "realization" sense). As I understand it, BIBFRAME
separates the abstract from the concrete. [1] So maybe we should define
what we mean by Work and Instance, and then look again at the terms we
use for them.

kc
[1] However, if you read Alan Renear's work on FRBR, you may be of the
school that only frbr:Item has physicality, the others are abstractions.
Neither FRBR nor BIBFRAME feel entirely satisfactory, I must say, but do
I have something better? Nope.

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net