Update on BIBFRAME and schema.org

Hi All,

Jean Godby has posted a clarification about her report to the BIBFRAME list, which I forward below for information.

~Richard.

From: <Godby>, Jean <godby@OCLC.ORG<mailto:godby@OCLC.ORG>>
Date: Saturday, 29 June 2013 06:01
To: "BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV<mailto:BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>" <BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV<mailto:BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV>>
Subject: [BIBFRAME] Schema Bib Extend activities and OCLC

When I read the reactions the report I posted to the BIBFRAME list recently, it came through loud and clear that readers were confused about whether the models I described were the work of the Schema Bib Ex W3C community or work by OCLC (i.e., me, plus colleagues mentioned in the Acknowledgement). I need to emphasize that several efforts are going on simultaneously.

They are:fon

  *   The Schema Bib Extend Community group, which is experimenting with using Schema.org to describe library resources. The goal is to identify gaps and inconsistencies and make formal recommendations to the stewards of Schema.org for addressing them.
  *   OCLC's experiments using Schema Bib Extend vocabulary proposals under discussion, as well as draft models that could incorporate and/or extend them.
  *   OCLC's participation in early experiments with BIBFRAME, whose goal is to understand the relationship between BIBFRAME and evolving vocabulary possibilities based on Schema.org.

I will make these points in the ALA BIBFRAME update session on Sunday and issue relevant revisions to the working paper.

Jean