Re: MANIFESTATION and ITEM EXAMPLES

On 05/07/2013 12:47, Tom Adamich wrote:

Thanks, but this record you cite is for physical items. For physical
items, I have already said that, of course there is a need for
manifestations to organize the different copies. (I still prefer to use
the word "edition") This is why I said in my message, to provide
examples where there are copies *in the digital realm*. There are not
multiple copies of the New York Times stored in various places on the
internet. There may be different versions of the New York Times, e.g.
epub, pdf, some tablet formats, and so on, but each of those would be a
different manifestation. Ultimately, each manifestation has a single
item. Everyone looks at the same files (or item). In earlier messages, I
mentioned possibilities of the Wayback Machine of the Internet Archive,
and BitTorrents and noted that both would have serious problems if
catalogers are to consider them to be "duplicates" to be managed.

In the physical world, everything is based on creating copies, and these
copies need to be organized and managed. That is the very purpose of the
manifestation record: to organize and manage duplicates. Where there are
no duplicates, as on the internet, there is no need for manifestation
records. This is similar to manuscript cataloging where--by
definition--there can never be a duplicate.
--
*James Weinheimer* weinheimer.jim.l@gmail.com
*First Thus* http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/