RE: cleaned up CommonEndeavor example

> >> <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Pride_and_Prejudice_(1940_film)>
> >>          a frbr:Work;
> >>          .
> >
> > I suppose it is reasonable to conceive of this resource, the film, as
> > being a frbr:Work, albeit the often(?) hazy distinction between Work
> > and Expression has made me lean towards the latter when in doubt.

The only dividing line between Work/Expression I find easy to understand is concern for the language of expression. I don't think the Wikipedia/DBpedia resources generally divide along those lines, which is why I was inclined to tag it as a Work.

> Now,
> > I am very much a library newbie, but I've come to think of Work as
> > seemingly close to the skos:Concept class -- i.e. classifying a very
> > loose conceptual subject. But that's probably another discussion.
>
> As I have said before, if FRBR worked in real life, we wouldn't still
> be discussing it in every forum. In the library world, different
> materials get different judgments. If you translate a text to a new
> language, it's the same work, a new expression. If you update a
> textbook to a new edition (but same title and author) it's the same
> work, a new expression. However, the film community considers each new
> rendering of a story as a movie to be a new work (and the director's
> cut is also a new work). In addition, a book and movie cannot be the
> same work. This, of course, has led some to postulate the need for a
> "super-work."

I agree that the WEM pattern is squishy and subjective, but I don't think that means they aren't useful. It just means they have to be take with a grain of salt. I think that Niklas might have put his finger on it by suggesting that Work is close to skos:Concept. This would allow it to be attached to an identifiable skos:ConceptScheme, which could help contextualize the fuzziness. For example, OCLC has a Works algorithm that could be conceptualized as a skos:ConceptScheme and then all the Works that it deduces could be bound to it via skos:inScheme.

> Honestly, if it worked, we'd be doing it. I'm not terribly hopeful.

I suspect that it hasn't worked so good in the past is because people are creating "worksets" of MARC records rather than deconstructing the MARC records into a sensible model and then applying Map/Reduce to these higher-res resources. (Karen hints at this below.)

> > Is this how :commonEndeavor is intended to work? I would have
> expected
> > the proposed :instanceOf to be suitable here, and that
> :commonEndeavor
> > is more for relating two manifestations by implying a common, shared
> > abstract notion of a work.
>
> Yes, what you say here is the intention.

My mistake. I should have looked closer at how commonEndeavor was being used.

> Here's the use case: you are a
> library and you have two copies of Moby Dick. Your cataloging system
> does not contain an identifier for a work at this moment in time.
> Rather than being forced to find or create a Work description with an
> IRI, you can say: these have essentially the same content. Or your
> system can be smart enough to cluster "like" things for the convenience
> of the user.
> ("That one is checked out. How about this one?") It's a kind of
> "mostLikelySameAs"

I recommend using umbel:isLike for this.

Jeff