Re: Back to identifiers

At the risk of being simple, the URI identifies whatever its description
says it is.

In this snippet from Karen's email

The URI identifies an identifier.  We learn a lot about the identifier:
  the standard it conforms to, who issued it, when it was issued, what
it identifies.  Identifying an identifier (minting a URI for it) is a
bit of an abstract notion, which is why, I guess, it was being described
as a skos:Concept in the earlier emails of this thread, but there is
administrative data there someone might benefit from (and I imagine more
could be added to it, especially if you were Bowker).

This ancillary information about the actual ISBN number may seem
unnecessary to some, but may be important to others. MARC certainly
provides space to record such information about an identifier (maybe not
about ISBNs, but other fields certainly - check out 028).  Karen
proposes a way to capture that ancillary information.  It's particular
vital when the identifier is not a (relatively) popular, well-known one,
such as an ISBN or an LCCN or an OLCLNUM. Also, *if* Bowker minted such
a URI, and provided that type of information, one could plausibly,
simply reference the schema:identifier by URI.

Now, in addition to the above URI for the ISBN identifier itself, Bowker
could choose to mint this URI (and associated RDF), which also takes
advantage of the ISBN number:

<http://bowker.com/books/isbn/9780553479430>
 a schema:Book;
 schema:title "War and Peace";
 schema:author <http://viaf.org/viaf/96987389>;
 schema:pubDate  "1997";
 schema:identifier <http://bowker.com/identifiers/isbn/9780553479430>.

Generally, an ISBN will be treated like a string of characters, like so:

<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/38264520> schema:isbn "9780553479430" .

but there may be cases where you could have something like this:

<http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/38264520>
 schema:isbn "9780553479430";
 schema:identifier _:b123;
 schema:identifier _:b456;
 schema:identifier _:b789;

_:b123 a schema:Identifier;
 schema:issuedBy "Harvard UL";
 schema:name "12345678".

_:b456 a schema:Identifier;
 schema:issuedBy "Yale UL";
 schema:name "asdfghj".

_:b789 a schema:Identifier;
 schema:issuedBy "Princeton UL";
 schema:name "qwerttyu".

Now, whether we want to do propose this as part of a Schema extension is
another matter, but the issue Karen raised is real and present in the
data.  And, if you're an institution like Bowker, there are two ways you
can describe an identifier.

As for the whole business about what an ISBN is or isn't or what it can
or cannot do, well...  I can see it both ways.  An ISBN is an
identifier.  It can identify a Book.

As for a URI, it's whatever the data says it is.

Yours,
Kevin