Re: Back to identifiers

Hi Cory,

On 18/01/2013 16:40, "Corey Harper" <corey.harper@gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard, Karen, et al.,
>
> I can't help but feel that the hairs being split here aren't
> particularly helpful to our cause.

I tend to agree and was happy to put identifiers on the back burner until at
least we had looked at SKOS - if nothing else because we will have
established some patterns that we might be able to reuse.

> But if we are going to spiral down
> this path, I would posit that the argument being applied to ISBN's
> actually applies to all the other identifiers we're discussing...

Most definitely!  Whatever pattern we use must fit all identifiers - ISBNs
should not be treated as a special case.

> For practical reasons, I don't support the notion that an OCLC # or an
> LCCN are strictly identifiers for a book.

Neither do I

> At best, they're identifiers
> for a metadata record in the particular system coded in the 003. MARC
> tells us the 003 indicates the context of the "system control number"
> in the 001.
> I'm not sure how Richards sentence "That is when an
> administrator of identifiers, for example Bowker for ISBNs, publishes
> structured data about the identifiers they have published, who/what
> they have issued them to, what for, and when etc.." applies any less
> to WorldCat IDs and other "system control numbers" than it does to
> ISBNS.
>
> But, from a practical perspective, I think I agree with Karen, that
> this level of additional metadata about an identifier that's already
> represented as a URI is at cross purposes with the goal of
> representing our data in schema.org.

If you were expecting to include this data in the structure of the page
about the book, I would agree with you.   If you were on a page describing
the identifiers allocated by a standards body, who they issued them to, and
what for, it would be a different issue.  Both scenarios are valid in a
broad schema world.

> I think I'm increasingly persuaded by the portions of the
> public-vocabs thread, such as Martin Hepp's message about SKOS [1]. I
> fear that we're going down the path of attempting to completely
> recreate RDF in schema.org.

I wish to avoid that too.   What I am hoping is that we can draw inspiration
and example from places such as SKOS to develop the mark-up tools to enable
people to describe their stiff in simple ways.  Not introduce complex rules
which do not get adopted.

~Richard.