Re: Works and instances

On 07/01/2013 13:08, "Gordon Dunsire" <gordon@gordondunsire.com> wrote:

Comments in line below.

> All
>
> The scope of schema's CreativeWork, ISBD's Resource, and Dublin Core's
> BibliographicResource are all pretty much co-extensive:
>
> schema:CreativeWork rdfs:comment "The most generic kind of creative work,
> including books, movies, photographs, software programs, etc." .
> isbd:C2001 rdfs:label "Resource" ;
>  skos:definition "An entity, tangible or intangible, that comprises
> intellectual and/or artistic content and is conceived, produced and/or issued
> as a unit, forming the basis of a single bibliographic description." ;
>  skos:scopeNote "Includes text, music, still and moving images, graphics,
> maps, sound recordings and video recordings, electronic data or programs,
> including those issued serially." .
> dct:BibliographicResource skos:definition "A book, article, or other
> documentary resource." .

I think the schema description "The most generic kind of creative work,
including books, movies, photographs, software programs, etc." says it all.

> ISBD Review Group has approved work on developing semantic relationships
> between ISBD's Resource and FRBR's Group 1 (WEMI) classes. My very preliminary
> thoughts are that only two properties are required to relate Resource to WEMI:
>
> isbd:hasExpression rdfs:label "has expression" ;
>  rdfs:domain isbd:C2001 ;
>  rdfs:range frbrer:C1002 .
> frbrer:C1002 rdfs:label ³Expression² .
>
> isbd:hasItem rdfs:label "has item" ;
>  rdfs:domain isbd:C2001 ;
>  rdfs:range frbrer:C1004 .
> frbrer:C1004 rdfs:label ³Item² .
>
> Properties are not required to relate Resource to Work or Manifestation,
> because of the one-and-only-one cardinality constraint on Expression-Work and
> Item-Manifestation. If an Expression, then a Work, and if an Item, then a
> Manifestation.

> Does this provide a way forward for schema.org to interoperate with FRBR/RDA?

It is something we should use to test what we propose.  If we cannot
demonstrate how you would publish your data using [extended] Schema.org,
that is currently in FRBR/RDA/Marc/ISBD/etc., we will not have completed our
mission.

> Practically, an instance of a CreativeWork is the resource/item being
> marked-up, not something at a higher-level of abstraction, so I agree with
> Karen¹s comment during the last telecom that instance=item, not manifestation.

We need to take into account what people are searching for, hence what the
search engines [behind schema.org] would hope to discern from data published
using the vocabulary.  My understand is that they want the works, with easy
paths to the manifestations/items.

> Relationships between different CreativeWorks can be based on the rich set of
> existing relationships in FRBR and RDA. These can be dumbed-down to a single
> generic relationship, but I  think it¹s ³relatedTo²  rather than ³versionOf²,
> although it depends on the definition. Does ³version² cover relationships like
> ³indexOf², ³successorTo², etc.?  (I agree that ³versionOf² is a better name
> than ³instanceOf².)

Perhaps Œversion¹ & ŒversionOf¹  - is what we are looking for then....

> Note that RDA already has properties for such relationships between WEMI
> entities which are unconstrained by WEMI domains and ranges, and the FRBR
> Review Group has approved the publication of unconstrained FRBR properties if
> and when the need arises.

That may well help with mappings from Schema to RDA.

> The same goes for properties for WEMI attributes. So adding two more
> properties, ³has Expression² and ³has Item², to schema.org would allow
> FRBR/RDA data to be dumbed-down to schema. And this may help to resolve
> content/carrier concerns, since ³has Expression² points to content attributes
> (of Expression and Work), and ³has Item² points to carrier attributes (of Item
> and Manifestation).

I think that even this may be too restrictive for Schema ­ version &
versionOf would define the relationship.  If the CreativeWork was also
defined as a schema:Product that would by definition be a manifestation and
if it was defined as a schema:IndividualProduct that would imply it was an
item.

> Finally, who uses these additional schema properties (including the two
> proposed by Richard), and where are they ³stored²? Does schema expect embedded
> markup to include relationships from the CreativeWork in hand to other
> CreativeWorks, or for relationships to be added to harvested triples, or both?

How/where something is implemented/store using schema is down to the
implementer/data publisher/consumer. I suggest that if the [data] publisher
has knowledge of the relationships they should publish them ­ especially
when publishing as embedded RDFa/Microdata in web pages.  More links are
good.  If a search engine can group (manifestation level) descriptions by
the CreativeWork that they are versions of, it can provide a better service
to the users searching by work.

~Richard