Re: Works and instances

Richard, I would be more comfortable with a relationship property that
did not presume a hierarchy - that is, did not presume that one
description is subordinate ("instance of") another. My gut feeling is
that we will have many descriptions at various levels of detail, but
that there is no universal ordering that resembles WEMI.  Still, people
will want to say that *this* is similar to/another version of *that*. So
we'll have lots of citations of Tom Sawyer, most of which will include
publisher information, and people will want to hook them together. And
we might have movies and ebooks and audio books and various other things
that also have similar content. That "hooking together" constitutes a
Work in the minds of the "hookers" (:-)). But there may be no "Work"
description in the FRBR sense to point to. So I would prefer a
horizontal relationship property to a vertical one. Or, in fact, I would
prefer a property that allows people to make the relationship without
having to think any more about the relationship than "these are kind of
the same content."

And, no, I don't know what to call it. "versionOf" comes to mind, but is
not entirely satisfactory.

kc

--
Karen Coyle