RE: Extension syntax Was: Re: Updated Example

> Like all schema.org properties, additionalType is optional in instance
> data.  OTOH, Itemtype is required for the data to be recognized as
> microdata - at least, that's how it tests out at the Google rich
> snippets validation: the rich snippets won't show up properly without
> it.

I don't think this is true. Here is a Microdata fragment that doesn't have an itemtype that the Rich Snippet tool is able to parse without complaint:

If the itemtype isn't included, it should be safe to infer http://schema.org/Thing as the itemtype.

This is inferable type the only "essential" that is needed. Beyond that, there is no reason to think itemtype and additionalType have any semantic differences at all. If an item has two types, it doesn't matter which type goes in itemtype and which one(s) go in additionalType.

Jeff