Extension syntax Was: Re: Updated Example

On 2/23/13 12:13 PM, Richard Wallis wrote:

> Although this is also syntactically correct:

Richard,

This may be syntactically correct, but I can find no examples of
communities using this type of syntax in the schema.org pages. (Of
course, I may have missed something, but a search didn't turn any up.) I
also find few examples using the extension syntax in their examples:

<a itemprop="readBy" href="http://viaf.org/viaf/33892908">Orlagh Cassidy</a>
<link itemprop="additionalType" href="http://schema.org/Product"/>

While there may be some community members who will make use of this
(OCLC being the obvious one), I think we need to be careful that our
schema.org proposals produce a complete description without the external
vocabulary extensions - those cannot be "mandatory" for the extraction
of meaning, but need to be "added, more detailed information." This is
one of my concerns with the product ontology: if the information is
essential to the microdata markup, it cannot be ONLY in the
additionalType. So where there is something like:

Format: Audiobook on CD<br/>

... if we think that "CD" is an important bit of information for rich
snippets or searching, then that needs microdata markup. The additional
type statement:

<link itemprop="additionalType"
href="http://www.productontology.org/id/Compact_Disk"/>

cannot be considered a substitute for markup of the display.

Oddly enough, I am not finding examples where the carrier is marked up
*at all* - not even in the movie or recorded music schemas. The Book
schema uses this extension format, but with schema.org-defined terms:

<link itemprop="bookFormat" href="http://schema.org/Paperback">Mass
Market Paperback

Which seems a bit odd to me, but I can understand that they didn't want
to create a class for each of the book product types. (Although schema
has numerous classes that add no new properties.)

In any case, I think we need to create examples both with and without
the extensions to make sure that our proposals work either way.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net