Re: AdditionalType was: audiobook options in objects

When I saw Dan Brickley talk about Schema.org a little while back (watch it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-6mhdjE1XE) the thing that struck me is how incredibly pragmatic the approach was - it was about 'how do people currently represent this on the web' not 'how best to represent this'. I keep having to remind myself about this when I think about making proposals.

With this in mind I've followed Karen's example and started to look at how Audiobooks are described on the web - I'm keen that whatever markup we propose is going to support these examples. I've started collecting examples and added them to the wiki. I did start to work out how these might be supported by some of the proposals with no, or only small, changes to the existing HTML markup - but haven't had time to complete this yet.

It would be good to get some links to existing library specific displays of audiobooks as well - don't have any of these yet, so please add to the wiki if you have some.

I guess that I'm trying to get into what I think is the schema.org mindset rather than a more general modelling mindset and ground proposals in real world existing html markup. I'm keen that we ground proposals in real world stuff, and think this is a way of ensuring this is what we do. To my mind this is a strength of discussing specifics like Audiobooks over the more abstract content vs carrier discussion - if we do this for some key types that exemplify content vs carrier, we may find a set of consistent approaches that all work in the same way, or we may find that we need different approaches in different areas - but we shouldn't worry either way.

I think we'll stand a better chance getting three proposals for  "Audiobook", "Radio Play" and "TV Show recording"  to be added than a single, more abstract, how to do content vs carrier proposal.

I'd be interested in knowing if this strikes a chord with others

Owen

Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting
Web: http://www.ostephens.com