Re: Content-Carrier Proposal

On Feb 13, 2013, at 07:12 , Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Richard Wallis <richard.wallis@oclc.org> wrote:
>> In principle I agree with you - it is a kludge of a solution and Microdata
>> could be improved by the ability to support multiple type URIs.
>
> My reading of the HTML 5 Microdata spec is that multiple types are allowed:
>
>  The itemtype attribute, if specified, must have a value that is an
>  unordered set of unique space-separated tokens that are
>  case-sensitive, each of which is a valid URL that is an absolute
>  URL, and all of which are defined to use the same vocabulary.

This is the sticking point. If you use @itemtype with, say, a schema Type, then it is not allowed to add a type from another vocabulary.

FWIW, the microdata->RDF mapping document[1] has been modified/extended due to the additionalType stuff; in practice, the generated RDF will include the rdf:type statements, too. Of course, this is of interest only if the client wants to use RDF.

Ivan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/microdata-rdf/

>  The attribute's value must have at least one token. [1]
>
>> The original 'Library' extension proposal that accompanied the OCLC WorldCat
>> linked data release last year, highlighted some of the carrier types
>> (catalogued by libraries which contribute records to WorldCat) that were
>> missing from Schema.  I am confident that that proposal will be superseded
>> by recommendations from this group.
>
> If memory serves it highlighted all of the carrier types, or at least
> a lot more than I would have, which is something I will resist doing
> in schema.org. If OCLC wants to publish a comprehensive list of
> carrier types for use in microdata and RDFa that seems fine. But
> baking all of that into schema.org is not palatable for me, especially
> given the overlap with types that are already present. Is it too
> difficult for us to itemize which types are not present in schema.org
> that we need to have for expected use of bibliographic data? Can we
> take lossless transformation of MARC to schema.org off the table?
>
> //Ed
>
> [1] http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/microdata.html#attr-itemtype

----
Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/