Re: Content-Carrier Proposal

Niklas,

I think you emphasis a good point here.   The goal is to add meaning in the
generic vocabulary that Schema is.

As metadata focused folk, the natural urge is to layer levels of meaning
atop of basic information.

Content and carrier/container has meaning in our domain (not always that
obvious meaning, considering the miles of email text created on the topic
;-)  which may not translate well across domains.   We see a book, in audio
format, delivered in a CD container.  Other may see a CD of an audiobook.

Karen points out the benefits of such data in the building of such facets
and indexes ­ we naturally assume that the creative work is the core entity
with things like audiobook and CD being facets.  A retailer may well look at
it from the the other end of the telescope with the physical thing being
prime and things such as it being Œof a book¹ being secondary.  By applying
our concepts, of what could be useful in building indexes, we may actually
make it more difficult for data consumers with different views.

The approach of applying multiple types, proposed here, allows for a thing
to be of many types at the same time ­ a book, an audio book, and a CD. This
enables, with the benefit of initiatives such as productontology.org, most
types to be described leaving the option of choosing which of the multiple
types is the main focus to the consumer.

Additional type was not in the original Schema spec, being introduced a year
later to add to microdata an ability, that comes by default with RDFa, to
replicate a real world need for multiple types.  Because of this we have a
legacy of individual solutions, such as MediaObject, which will cause some
initial confusion as this more general approach gets adopted.

~Richard.