Re: proposal just for article

On 12/10/13, 8:19 PM, Ross Singer wrote:
> Karen, is there a commonality between the various things that might have
> "volumes"? Are they collections? Series?
>
> I'm trying figure out if there's a (sellable) common base class that
> satisfies all the definitions of "thing with volumes".
>
> I can't figure out how to word that in a way that makes sense. I guess
> what I mean is, a Book or a DVD could be a volume of ____?

Yes, lots of things have volumes, but that is because there are no rules
that publishers need to follow when they use the term for any set that
they publish. Lord of the Rings can be published as a three-volume set.
A group of DVDs of a TV series can be given volume numbers and sold
separately. When you order them on Amazon, you are often ordering a
specific volume number.

So there isn't just one kind of volume. I've mentioned before that there
are two primary patterns:
- ongoing (periodical)
- fixed (a set of things held together by some concept of product)

This is why subordinating volume to only periodical (thus making a
three-volume set of Lord of the Rings a periodical) may make it jarring
for sometime trying to use schema for that case.

> Also, and we can discuss this tomorrow, the Article proposal looks like
> it could work either way, right? I mean it's mostly a demonstration of
> using inverse predicates of proposal #1 (for a different use case), is
> that right?

The proposal of Dan's, as it stands now, is getting closer to simple
case, so we may just be able to do this in documentation, as I said
before. It, however, does have volumeNumber in PeriodicalIssue. This
makes that boxed set a periodical issue. We may not be able to avoid
that, but that pretty unintuitive for the boxed set case.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
kcoyle@kcoyle.net http://kcoyle.net