Comics and periodicals, call for feedback: round 2 (was Re: Comics and periodicals in schema.org)

Replying to myself is bad form, but oh well...

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 1:48 PM, Dan Scott <denials@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Is it out of the realm of possibility to get yeas / +1s, yeas with
> caveats, or nays with concrete suggestions / counter-proposals for
> this aired on the mailing list before our next call on December
> 11th... hopefully with time to also resolve the caveats / suggestions
> / counter-proposals prior to the call?

"This" was the Comics & Periodicals Synthesis proposal, but given that
there are more details to work out on the Comics front*, I would like
to uncouple Periodicals again and move it forward as a standalone
proposal.

Thank you to everyone who did provide feedback, and thank you Karen
for your counter-proposal; I believe that different perspectives
always strengthen the final result, and the state of this proposal has
been much improved as a result.

I have revised the Periodicals proposal at
http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Periodical accordingly.
The major changes since my last call for feedback on December 4th are:

* "Issuance" was renamed to "PeriodicalIssue" for the sake of clarity.
* "Collection" has been removed as a prerequisite for this proposal,
and Periodical and PeriodicalIssue are no longer subclasses of
Collection.
* "PeriodicalVolume" was added and then removed (heh), with
volumeNumber living on PeriodicalIssue. We now match the Bibliographic
Ontology design.
* (Provisionally) we can define sameAs relationships to the Bibo
equivalent classes when we create the RDFS.

In summary, this proposal adds two new classes with a total of three
new properties (albeit not counting has/partOf properties) to the
existing schema.org vocabulary, and the domain of two existing
properties is broadened. I believe that this proposal is clean and
simple, while still offering the flexibility required for the bulk of
use cases faced by schema.org publishers and consumers.

I would like to make a call for another round of +1, -1, and
especially concrete suggestions / feedback and objections so that we
can work together in a timely fashion to finalize this proposal [1],
and get it into the hands of public-vocabs for another round of
discussion and feedback. Wouldn't it be nice to see structured
Periodical schema.org-namespaced data in the wild in 2014?

1. http://www.w3.org/community/schemabibex/wiki/Periodical

* As for comics, I think it makes sense to free it up to progress on
its own timeline. Having a solid periodicals proposal in place to use
as superclasses should make it much easier to focus on the
comic-specific aspects that are required.