Re: Fictional Universe (was: Re: Comics and periodicals in schema.org)

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Dan Scott <denials@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Thad:
>
> On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Thad Guidry <thadguidry@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The mention of the overlapping and continuing Comic Series of Xmen over
> the
> > years, reminded me of the need for a property to hold the "fictional
> > universe".
> >
> > I did not see a "fictional universe" that ties all series / brands (from
> > Peter's schema) / issues / stories.  Work in Progress ? (Comics are
> > fictional based, so any fiction-based periodical will probably
> appreciate a
> > property like that)
> >
> > We have the "Part of fictional universes" property in Freebase currently.
> > As a guide, please read the description along the top of :
> > https://www.freebase.com/fictional_universe/work_of_fiction?schema=
> >
> > and let's think about ways to incorporate it within the schema proposal
> and
> > where.
>
> Interesting! To keep the relevant scopes manageable, perhaps we should
> develop a "fictional universe" proposal separately from the
> Periodicals & Comics proposal?
>
> I could see something simple like the following quick and dirty
> approach working in the short term:
>
> """
> New type: CreativeWork -> FictionalUniverse
> Definition: ""Fictional universe", as used here, applies to the
> settings and characters of a fictional work or works.  The main
> purpose of the type is to gather works that belong to a common
> setting. Therefore, stand-alone works may not need to use this type.
> For example, the Buffyverse for works about Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
> or the Foundation Universe for Isaac Asimov's Robot, Empire, and
> Foundation series." (credit Freebase)
>
> New property: partOfFictionalUniverse FictionalUniverse The fictional
> universe or universes that this work is associated with. (credit
> Freebase) (Domain: CreativeWork)
> """
>
> Beyond the short term, there are a number of properties at
> http://www.freebase.com/fictional_universe/fictional_universe?schema=
> that would require us to define types for characters, languages
> (fictional), calendar systems (fictional), etc, all of which would
> need to be coordinated with the TV and Radio types (as they currently
> don't define "characters" for example). So if we want to go beyond
> just the simple "aggregation of CreativeWorks" level and start
> creating FictionalCharacter, FictionalLanguage, and
> FictionalCalendarSystem types, I think it really needs to be its own
> proposal :)

Good Grief, NO. haha.  Fictional Universes are immensely more complex then
Real Life, just ask Peter !  And I was not suggesting to incorporate the
entire Fictional Universe Domain. (that's a huge labor of love for others,
later on, like Peter)

I was only suggesting incorporation of that 1 property only.  A container
for fictional stories / storylines, etc that are easily tied to a brand,
trademark, or fictional universe.  That container in Freebase is the
FictionalUniverse.

partOfFictionalUniverse = "Xmen"

Right, only the quick and dirty approach under CreativeWork for just that 1
property is needed for now.  It takes care of a number of branding,
marketing, trademark, and media or fiction franchise problems for the
Schema.org adoptors.

"Marvel Universe" and "Xmen" and even at a character franchise level that
is considered a FictionalUniverse or Storyverse like "Spider-man".
"Harry Potter" universe with rights owned by you know who.
"Xanth" universe with rights owned by the Piers Anthony estate.

You've got the right idea.

--
-Thad
Thad on LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/thadguidry/>