Re: Changes vs. new element

On 8/1/13 8:22 AM, Wallis,Richard wrote:
> Some thoughts...
>
>> But /Library is a "/LocalBusiness", which is location-oriented and has
>> no relation to /Offer,
>

> /Library inherits makesOffer from Organization - so there is a connection
> between Library and Offer

Oh, good. And /makesOffer is defined in a rather broad way:

"A pointer to products or services offered by the organization or person."

So then it comes down to getting /Offer extended beyond sales, which
seems to be a possibility.

> Proposal [2] seems to mix two concepts, that should possibly approached
> separately.
>
> * Holding statement - which indicates what a library has
> * A holding - what a library has [on Offer] for loan or access by other
> means.

A holdings "statement" in a library display actually has at least 3
concepts:

place (with multiple levels: library/library section/item)
"inventory" (what the library has)
and offers

Making up new properties for library holdings has the advantage of
possibly putting these all in one place in schema.org. It has the
disadvantage of separating library information from the more common (so
far) store and sales information.

Re-using existing schema.org properties puts library data in the
mainstream, and probably will get it used by search engines sooner.
However, existing properties are geared to sales, so the terms are odd
if not inappropriate (sku for call number, for example).

I understand Dan's reluctance to go back and change terms that have
already been defined, but perhaps if our modifications are only to
definitions, and are always broader than previous (so that they don't
negate any existing data), that will be acceptable.

The main question, though, is: what do we do now? I tried asking about
changes to definitions but didn't really get an answer. Should I go back
and do a more specific proposal, using the holdings example?

> Are these not simply mapped to the Organisation properties 'owns' (in the
> looses sense), and makesOffer (to make available), respectively?
>
> As to the shelf location, call number, availability information.  Would
> this not sit best on IndividualProduct alongside serialNumber (barcode)?
> How abut 'storageLocation' and 'locationReference' as properties for
> these?  The IndividualProduct bing referenced from an Offer as
> 'itemOffered'.

I'll let Dan answer since he's looked into that aspect in greater detail.

kc