RE: Next Meeting - Schema Bib Extend W3C Group - 17th October

Karen,

You've raise issues that "we" (modeling experts and domain experts alike) need to deconstruct and reconcile to appeal to a broader audience. The W3C community (which I would characterize as a group of "modeling experts") was able to respond almost immediately (within days of the Schema.org announcement) with an RDF mapping: http://schema.rdfs.org/). The Schema.org community has acknowledged this alignment in a few ways:

- http://schema.org/docs/datamodel.html
- http://schema.org/docs/schemaorg.owl
- Hiring Dan Brickley

Schema.org may not be as obsessed with ontological/ideological prophylaxis as the Semantic Web (or library) community are, but that's presumably because they "know" (in a sense) that triple-based intuition-based vocabularies are more important (in the broad sense and in these early phases) than modeling-expertise/domain-expertise hygiene. I personally am inclined to believe that this "big bang" approach is in everyone's best interest. This includes emerging razor-sharp industrial-strength "domain models" of the type that could be characterized by the "long tail" diagram in this blog post:

http://philarcher.org/diary/2012/danbri/?m=0

Disclaimer: This DOESN'T mean that I intend to shove this view down OCLC's (or the industry's) throat. (The idea that I have this kind of power/influence is so ludicrous I can't even believe I'm saying it. I'm merely here to help.) If the industry needs to believe that SKOS and/or MARCR (or Dublin Core or RDA or whatever) are "superior" to Schema.org then I will do whatever I can (within practical reason) to support it. Nevertheless, I can't promise to believe that it needs to be either/or.

Jeff