RE: Next Meeting - Schema Bib Extend W3C Group - 17th October

I'm not completely sure that Gordon's view of FRBR Concept aligns with mine. I prefer the FRBR Final Report's definition of Concept: http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr1.htm#3.2

	3.2.7 Concept

	The seventh entity defined in the model is concept: an abstract notion or idea.

I'm less comfortable with the more liberal definition Gordon gives (from FRBRer?) "a grab-bag, best defined as 'a subject which is not a Work, Expression, ...'". It's getting harder and harder to believe there are only 10-12 basic types of things in the universe by treating "Concept" as equivalent to "Miscellaneous".

A couple of other asides:
	- I would argue that FRBR Concepts aren't dependent on authority control. People can recognize concepts without necessarily being able to agree (or even attach) authoritative labels to them.
	- We should avoid the assumption that FRBR Group 2/3 entities only become such when they are known to be a "subject" of a FRBR Work or bound to other FRBR entity by some other form of literary warrant (creator/publisher/etc). Gordon's point about FRSAD and OWL is useful and deserves further consideration. Which of the following should we believe?:
		- frsad:Thema owl:equivalentClass owl:Thing . (Correcting owl:sameAs to owl:equivalentClass)
		- frsad:Thema rdfs:subClassOf owl:Thing . (only things that are the "subject" of a FRBR Work are frsad:Themas)

That's how I think about FRBR Concept. I'm not claiming that this hair-splitting is "correct". I'm just saying that my brain doesn't fall out as often when I think this way.

Moving on to SKOS:

One aside first: Since FRSAD go mentioned earlier, it may also be worth pointing out the symmetries between skos-xl:Label/skos-xl:prefLabel and frsad:Nomen/frsad:hasAppellation

Now back to SKOS Concepts. Assuming that my interpretation of FRBR Concept makes sense, I would argue this:
	- skos:Concept rdfs:subClassOf x-frbr:Concept .

There are a few reasons for this:
	- http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#S14
	- http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/#L4858
	- http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/#term_focus

I would argue that these principles/patterns are essential for proper authority control. OTOH, I suspect that these principles are beyond the limits of what Schema.org extension would accept. Thus my argument that schema:Concept is more equivalent to FRBR Concept than it is to skos:Concept.

I'm not saying schema:Concept (based on the proposal) couldn't be used to define an authority control scheme, only that it will be idiomatic and have to be manipulated to work in aggregated environments.

Clear as mud yet? :-)

Jeff