Re: Missing Schema.Org properties

On 12/5/12 7:26 AM, Jodi Schneider wrote:

> +1 : A design pattern seems more appropriate to me.

We seem to have covered this (or maybe it's just me)[1] -- We either
need a structure, but that complicates things for display, or we need to
use a "meta" tag, if we are going to deal with this as a pattern.
Otherwise we need to create a property for each identifier type.

As Ed points out, a pattern is needed for identifiers that do not have a
standard URI form. Ironically, one of the few that does have such a form
is the ISBN, yet that's already one of the properties in schema.org. I
just think that ISBN is so common that people automatically add it to
any bibliographic metadata schema.

Note that this issue of needing a design pattern will come back when we
talk about subject headings. Most thesauri do not yet use URIs, and the
list of potential thesauri is huge. [2]

kc

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-schemabibex/2012Dec/0019.html
[2] http://www.loc.gov/standards/sourcelist/

> -Jodi
>

>> I'm not sure I have a preference at this point, but I just wanted to
>> point out that relying entirely on itemid for expressing identifiers
>> is not going to work. Perhaps it would be useful to document some of
>> the design choices on the wiki for further discussion?
>>
>> //Ed
>>
>> [1] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-December/038256.html
>> [2] http://lists.whatwg.org/htdig.cgi/whatwg-whatwg.org/2012-December/038257.html
>>
>> PS. Sorry for sending this to you twice Karen :-)
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM, Karen Coyle <kcoyle@kcoyle.net> wrote:
>>> I did check these fields on what I can find of the Moen statistics (a large
>>> study of MARC field frequency), so there may be some we can defer.
>>> Unfortunately, what I have of those stats only covers books, not, for
>>> example, serials or music, so I am making a guess here, but these fields
>>> seem to be used less in less than 80% of the relevant records:
>>>

>>> 013 - Patent Control Information (R) Full | Concise
>>> 017 - Copyright or Legal Deposit Number (R) Full | Concise
>>> 024 - Other Standard Identifier (R) Full | Concise
>>> 025 - Overseas Acquisition Number (R) Full | Concise
>>> 026 - Fingerprint Identifier (R) Full | Concise
>>> 027 - Standard Technical Report Number (R) Full | Concise
>>> 031 - Musical Incipits Information (R) Full | Concise

--
Karen Coyle