RE: Missing Schema.Org properties

See below

From: Richard Wallis [mailto:richard.wallis@oclc.org]
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2012 17:20
To: Shlomo Sanders; public-schemabibex@w3.org
Cc: Young,Jeff (OR); Vizine-Goetz,Diane
Subject: Re: Missing Schema.Org properties

Hi Shlomo,

Couple of points.

Authoritative subjects:   The relationship between a CreativeWork and a subject, in current Schema would be 'about' - the URI for the subject description could then point to anywhere (eg. LCSH, MESH, or even a local subject heading set).  The question then is how to describe the subject itself.  SKOS is currently a default in this area, we should start to lobby those that manage these to start adopting Schema in addition to SKOS.
[Shlomo] VIAF seems to use SKOS or is that just the records that I checked?

Identifiers: This is a particular concern of mine.  The approach of having a named property for each possible identifier that a CreativeWork or a Person could have, just does not scale.  However to handle this you will always be disenfranchising some identifier backing group.  Isbn seems to of got in because it is know by everyone, oclcnum is obvious from where I sit (but that does not make it right).   I think we (in all of Schema, not just the bib domain) need an identifier Type with properties of 'identifierValue' and 'identifierType' - which could handle either an enumerated list or at least well known identifier names.
[Shlomo] I agree 100%. It would make like much easier.

~Richard.