Re: schema course extend: Progress!

Just to tie up loose ends:

On 29/08/2016 23:30, Jim Goodell wrote:
> No need for my concerns to get in the way of progress;
Not a problem Jim, your suggestions /are/ progress

> here's my 2 cents:
>
> Go ahead with *courseCode*, but preferably adding "URL" as an expected
> type along with "Text," so then a text value could be assumed to be a
> provider code with only local meaning, and a URL can point to an item
> in a standard code-set with parse-able definition/context.

I went ahead but did not add URL; I did change the definition to make it
clear that the courseCode was the code used by the course provider to
identify the course. I think we need to discuss a little more so that I
understand what these standard code-sets are codes for. I want to avoid
any misunderstanding that the courseCode property be used for coding
courses against standard codes for subject etc., rather than the local
code used as an identifier for a course (though the two can be
conflated, as Alan mentioned in the UK the UCAS code for subject is
often used by institutions as a local identifier).  I think if the
course provider has a URL to identify the course they would use the url
property for it.

We can revisit this next time around.

> Go ahead with *courseMode* as an overloaded term only if "URL" is
> added as an expected type for reference to terms in an external
> controlled vocabulary.
>
> The definition could be extended to provide some guidance such as:
>
>     The medium or means of delivery of the course, or the mode of
>     study, either as a text label (e.g. "online", "onsite", or
>     "blended"; "synchronous" or "asynchronous"; "full-time" or
>     "part-time") or as a URL reference to a controlled vocabulary
>     (e.g. https://ceds.ed.gov/element/001311#Asynchronous).

I did that, thank you.

Phil