Re: Dates and locations of a CourseInstance & the lessons it comprises.

On 17/03/16 12:34, Dan Brickley wrote:
> Phil et al., does this make any sense, e.g. perhaps treating
> CourseInstance as a named subtype of EventSeries? (or at least sharing
> structure/approach with it)
I wouldn't be too happy about subtyping unless we can have a series of
one (for single day events), and you mean multiple inheritance (we will
be making use of many other properties of Event). And if you mean
multiple inheritance then, given EventSeries < Series < CreativeWork, we
would be back with CourseInstance as a sub class of both Event and
CreativeWork, which has its own problems.

The proposal for EventSeries with the example of the different editions
every summer of the Salzburger Festspiele seems more like it is dealing
with a relationship similar to that between a Course and the
CourseInstances (running different 'editions' of the MSc in Basket
Weaving every year). It doesn't deal with subevents of those editions
happening at regular times, which is what I think we have for
CourseInstances.

A common structure makes a lot of sense for things that happen at
regular time slots (either series of related events or repeats of the
same thing)

Phil

Phil Barker           @philbarker
LRMI, Cetis, ICBL     http://people.pjjk.net/phil
Heriot-Watt University

Ubuntu: http://xkcd.com/456/
   not so much an operating system as a learning opportunity.