Re: Modelling Course and CourseOffering

A CreativeWork subtype or not?
In my mind the reasoning for using CreativeWork as the super-type for
Course are two fold.

   1. The making of the course itself, designing, documenting, assembling
   materials & references, etc., etc., is a creative act with creator(s) etc.

   As Joshua indicates, what the course is about my well not be a creative
   thing, but that does not detract from the creative nature of any course.
   An analogy in the current Schema.org structure being Episode
   <http://schema.org/Episode> - TV & Radio episodes often do not have
   creative things as their subjects, yet are definitely CreativeWorks.

   2. Pragmatism - I think we will find that if we take Intangible as the
   super type for Course, we will need to add many properties to course that
   already have CreativeWork in their domain.  Wanting to be concise will lead
   us not to include [in an intangible based course] some properties that only
   *might* be useful.  Whereas sub-typing CreativeWork we can inherit the
   usage patterns, and previous justifications for, the many properties that
   come with CreativeWork.

   As an exercise it would be worth stepping through the properties of
   CreativeWork <http://schema.org/CreativeWork> and list the one which
   would *not* be applicable to some course type or other.  If you include
   potential online courses, that list will be fairly short.

~Richard

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com