Re: How the father of the World Wide Web plans to reclaim it from Facebook and Google

On 9/2/16 8:54 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>         Various repos under: https://github.com/solid
>>>         Pretty much all have issue tracking

>>>             I am confused. What is it that we haven't done?
>>>
>>>         Any kind of serious testing.  My original point.  If solid
>>>         apps work on virtuoso that's going to be a big win.  Write
>>>         a backend, write apps.  Test on virtuoso, test on node
>>>         solid server, test on gold.  That is the test of
>>>         compliance.  Failing that, work on passing a test suite.

>>>             There is subtle confusion about my point reflected in
>>>             your last two comments. If a SoLiD client fails to work
>>>             with my Virtuoso instance, then simply indicate what the
>>>             issue is. You can also share a list of SoLiD apps here
>>>             and I can once again test them. That said, I have zero
>>>             interest in compiling anyting or heading out on module
>>>             graph bounties. I just want to install something and test.
>>>
>>>         Yes, I think we're talking high level perspective vs low
>>>         level perspective.  The devil is in the detail.
>>>         I will be working on my own back end "solid live" and the
>>>         acid test for me will be whether solid apps can work with it.
>>         Your description of SoLiD, as exemplified by this exchange,
>>         isn't how you make progress. First off, you need to be able
>>         to actually describe what SoLiD actually is, clearly. Simply
>>         declaring things as compliant vs non compliant, without any
>>         clarity isn't the way to generate uptake and interop
>>         activity. What is the fundamental goal of SoLiD? What is does
>>         it actually offer right now, that uniquely distinguishes it
>>         with regards to using HTTP, WebDAV, LDP, Web ACLs, WebID+TLS,
>>         WebID+TLS+Delegation, SPARQL Graph Protocol, SPARQL 1.1 etc.
>>         to perform Read-Write operations? Answering this question is
>>         crucial :) Kingsley
>>
>>     Have you looked at this? https://github.com/solid/solid-spec
>>     <https://github.com/solid/solid-spec>
>
>     Melvin,
>
>     You know I've looked at that, and much more. We are having a
>     public discussion and its really important that you (and other
>     SoLiD supporters) embark on the following:
>
>     1. Articulate what problem SoLiD solves, uniquely
>
>     2. Demonstrate how SoLiD delivers on its value proposition via
>     simple Client and Server implementations that just work i.e., no
>     coding and compilation involved.
>
>     We have a maze of technologies and "best practices" all conflated
>     under SoLiD, unfortunately. That doesn't make for a sound interop
>     basis when you have failure points at the following levels:
>
>     [1] WebID Authentication using WebID+TLS protocol
>
>     [2] WebID+TLS authentication protocol and Browser UX issue --
>     which is solved by WebID+TLS+Delegation protocol
>
>     [3] Non-existent interop efforts across WebID+TLS,
>     WebID+TLS+Delegation compliant clients and servers
>
>     [4] Non-existent interop efforts across WebACL compliant clients
>     and servers
>
>     [5] All of the above for LDP compliant clients and servers; ditto
>     SPARQL Graph Protocol and SPARQL 1.1 compliant clients and servers.
>
>     Without 1-5 sorted out, you have nothing to work with, in a

Melvin, What problem does SoLiD solve, uniquely? Put differently, you
(and SoLiD) supporters have to answer the following clearly: What is
SoLiD? Why is it important? How do I use it?
> My suggestion to test solid compliance might be to see if this profile
> editor works with a given backend
> https://linkeddata.github.io/profile-editor/
> There's also an issue tracker linked to page
Here's an illustration of what I experience:
https://www.pinterest.com/kidehen/solid-interop/ . WebID+TLS handling is
problematic, and that's more to do with WebID+TLS interop issues
associated with the chosen WebID+TLS authentication module used in the
framework to build that editor. You've already successfully created
resources in my Data Space where authentication is WebID+TLS and/or
WebID+TLS+Delegation based, leveraging a WebACL. That's has nothing to
do with SoLiD and everything to do with a Read-Write leveraging existing
open standards etc.. What is WebID+TLS? A an open standards-based
protocol for authenticating Agent identity, at Web-scale . Why is it
important? It enables Read-Write operations across Data Spaces on an
HTTP network using an HTTP user agent (or client). How do I use it?
Simply perform the following steps: 1. Make a profile document on your
local computer 2. Publish the profile document to an HTTP-accessible
location 3. Generate an X.509 Certificate using information from the
HTTP-accessible profile document     -- during this process, use the
HTTP URL of the profile document + "#i" to create a WebID which is then
used a the value of the Subject Alternative Name field 4. Test WebID+TLS
authentication protocol using the product of 1-3. Tools: 1.
http://id.myopenlink.net/ods/webid_demo.html -- Example of a tool for
WebID+TLS protocol testing 2. http://id.myopenlink.net/youid/ -- Example
of a tool for X.509 Certificate endowed with WebID in SAN generation
(choose the WebID-Profile Document from the Profile data Provider
drop-down).