Re: Group Certificates and their utility or uselessness

I realized I did not post to the mailing list, so here it is:

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 4:59 AM, carmen r <_@whats-your.name> wrote:

> > We need a human centric web. i see differentiators between that and our
> service orientated heritage
>
> hi tim(h), sometime in past couple of years tim(bl) in an interview (maybe
> TIME.com) mentioned work
> yet to be done on social aspects of the web - with a brief mention of
> identity or certificates,
> also even more briefly noting the idea of family certificates.
> as you know, software-support of even the basic user-certificate feature
> is in-flux and incomplete in
> shipped web-browsers. https://www.w3.org/Webauthn/ appeared, and there's
> https://fidoalliance.org
>
> _____
> membership of a group could be based on possession of a certificate
>
> group-certs could be exchanged in person with mobile-devices via NFC
> tapping or camera and QR-scanning,
> after both members initiate a key-exchange session using their
> cert-management UI. or cert is escrowed
> online in a group's private space, which you could download into browser
> as a member
>
> enhanced-security Solid daemons could store blobs only decryptable by
> key-holders, ACL check becomes
> pointless other than to avoid sending data that won't be decryptable
> _____
>
> unsure if you mean "service orientated" as in online service run by a
> single company
> as in to get "Group" features, everyone creates an account on a particular
> online site
>
> fancier next-of-kin, and power-of-attorney and delegated/proxy scenarios
> are the kind of thing that
> could potentially be enabled via shared group or family certificates. none
> of this is shipping now,
> instead major services are implementing things on an adhoc basis:
>
> “They listened to all the pundits and drew up the documents. Then the bank
> says, ‘That’s very nice, but it’s not our form.’”
>

> http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/health/finding-out-your-power-of-attorney-is-powerless.html
>
> > Other situations may involve 'digital hostage' styled use-cases
>
> keeping in mind the classic https://xkcd.com/538/ when thinking about
> keys is good

Perhaps checking out the https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/ or even
the https://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/ would be appropriate?  Digital Bazaar
just rolled out Flex Ledger. (
https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webpayments/2016Jun/0001.html).
They are definitely interested in looking more into crypto, with the
web-payments side pulling most of this weight IIRC, Some recent Timbl
related stuff is here (https://github.com/solid/) . Follow the interplay
between people involved with solid through WebID and authentication and
authorization for webpayments. Some people are skeptical about the
blockchain in W3C standardization activities. I am not sure why though.