Re: FYI - IoT investment

The company Evrythng was founded by the inventor of Web of things term form
ETH-Zurich. Therefore, we can say that they are one of the leading startups.
However, their approach, which you cannot understand from their website, is
probably centralized. Long time ago, I read their initial paper on access
control of things. It was titled as Social Access Controller. There is a
server which knows/controls everything. Not peer-2-peer. There are other
similar proposals from academia Social Internet of Things, things that
tweet etc.

However, all of them uses a centralized server. And I'm afraid, possibly
they  embed passwords into these 'things' for secure access. Recently, I
have encountered http://thethingsystem.com/, they use one time passwords
which depends on hashing of the previous passwords. It is more promising
than embedded passwords.

On the other hand, WebID as you all know, can be peer-2-peer. Thus, a
connection between your sensor and your smartphone is not trapped by an
internet giant. Google bought https://nest.com/ just for this reason.
However, until now I have not seen any implementation of WebID on
microcontrollers which are the core of IoT. I know that DTLS, asymmetric
key encryption and XML parsing  are doable. But webid needs all at once.
Therefore, I plan to put some effort and see its feasibility on a MSP430X
with Contiki operating system.

best
yunus