Re: UI for client cert selection (Was: Releasing RWW.IO)

I’ve spent some time with anders last night (i’m in oz); showing Cimba, running on other services - i.e. TLS AUTH to RWW.io (not TLD/app host - i.e. Cimba[1] / Kima[2] (whatever, perhaps best described as rdflib[3]?), and am looking forward to understanding more of his considerations and possible alternatives (or additions) he seeks to introduce to the group/s for consideration.  IMHO, the tangential differences relating to decentralisation change paradigms in ways that are difficult to understand without looking at the stack, rather than a specified segment.  If the mission was simply to authenticate to a traditional web2 methodology - inc. client(browser session) / server (.TLD with Relational DB) then some considerations would become more difficult to understand.

tangentially;

Some questions I’ve had for a while (re: data layer, not auth. or privacy crypto specifically) is why the WebID-TLS seeks to ID a person (foaf:person / foaf:agent) - rather than a machine / local account (i.e.: WebID:thing< rel:foaf/me#>).  A possible alternative use-case could be that TLS defaults to issuing a client certificate that says something like - Timh’s desktop; which in-turn means if a friend wants to use their RWW Services temporarily on my machine - they can authenticate, link to that cert (perhaps i need to authorise that action, and give it a profile..).

I understand the end-result is to provide identity services to users (therein, FOAF records); however, IMHO, the WebID Enabled TLS Cert appears to identify the machine account / browser - not the person sitting in front of the machine at the time of use. re: POC work (proof of concept) i don’t think it matters, but as things progress having WoT (web of trust) ID’s for each entity (things / legal entities) would seemingly enhance accessibility…?

I imagine,

- I have a desktop machine, with one profile.
- I install an RWW Cloud account on that machine, as administrator.
- In the SubjectAltName link - I embed ubiquitous.rww.io/profile/card#me and perhaps ubiquitous.rww.io/things/workstation#home or ubiquitous.rww.io/profile/card#homemachine or whatever alternative.

An alternative could be to define a WebID ontology...

WoT (or IoT) Related records might have server-side info; like
- what Subnet the device lives on (if the machine is moved somewhere else - it might not have access anymore, without additional authentication..)
- a description of the capability / permissions of/with the device (can send anything you want from that HDD to your cloud account, or alternatively - it’s not allowed - not thinking rules, just the ability to create them.)
- a description of my relationship to the device (inc. preferences - similar to above.)

With regard to persona - the client-side cert for a person / persona (of a person) might be located on the cloud somewhere..  whether this is a public or an encrypted record is tangential, the fact would be that in accessing that record user-intervention is required and in some instances this may require multiple devices to interact in a specified way.

I imagine the mechanism around this ‘agreement’ to be segmented from the user-device (i.e.: workstation).  (understanding, that some may choose to build their own environments internally: at home, on a NAS or ubuntu phone, etc.); and that agreements between entities can be transcribed to rdf, forging ACL’s around data-sharing, etc..

I can also imagine a UI creating authorisation procedures, in a recipe format: which could then be defined differently for different machines used by a particular individual or persona (work, family, accounting, etc.) of a persons life, in relation to machines they’re using.

WebID Ontology?
When this gets down to the WebID-TLS Spec[4] - it currently it defines FOAF specifically, which kinda excludes the concept of ‘thing’.  A possible alternative I’ve considered, is to create a WebID ontology, using w3id[5] perhaps…

RE: AUTH SPECIFICALLY
When describing concepts relating to AUTH recently,  The use-case of traditional lock-keys (doors, vehicles, padlocks, etc.) seemed useful.  One of the characteristics of a keyring is not simply that someone needs to get them from you; but also, the possession of the key does not = knowledge of which key fits which lock.  That information is generally information stored in someones head.   if you loose your keyring at a pub, even if you put your phone number on it - someone still needs to ‘link’ the keyring, to the specified location of the lock, in-order to use it.

I imagine that the future of AUTH will feature some of these concepts / considerations - including the use of multiple keys, rather than a specified master-key (understanding we also live in a world where if all else fails we can seek some help from a locksmith) let alone a master-key that’s provided on traditional web portal terms…  (i’m not entirely sure how far the privacy issue goes, but the email is long enough already. )

timh.

[1] https://github.com/social-webarch/cimba or live at http://cimba.co/
[2] https://github.com/rww-apps/kima/  or live at http://rww-apps.github.io/kima/
[3] https://github.com/linkeddata/rdflib.js