Re: Important Change to HTTP semantics re. hashless URIs

On Mar 24, 2013, at 12:39 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:

> All,
>
> Here is a key HTTP enhancement from Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Semantics and Content note from IETF [1].
>
> "
>   4.  If the response has a Content-Location header field and its
>       field-value is a reference to a URI different from the effective
>       request URI, then the sender asserts that the payload is a
>       representation of the resource identified by the Content-Location
>       field-value.  However, such an assertion cannot be trusted unless
>       it can be verified by other means (not defined by HTTP).
> "
>

> Implications:
>
> This means that when hashless (aka. slash) HTTP URIs are used to denote entities, a client can use value from the Content-Location response header to distinguish a URI that denote an Entity Description Document (Descriptor) distinct from the URI of the Entity Described by said document. Thus, if a client de-references the URI <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> and it gets a 200 OK from the server combined with <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> in the Content-Location response header, the client (user agent) can infer the following:

I think not quite exactly as you describe it:

> 1. <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> denotes the real-world entity 'Barack Obama' .
> 2. <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> denotes the Web Document that describes real-world entity 'Barack Obama' -- by virtue of the fact that the server has explicitly *identified* said resource via the Content-Location header .

I think in fact all it can infer is

1. <http://dbpedia.org/resource/Barack_Obama> denotes an entity, and
2. <http://dbpedia.org/page/Barack_Obama> denotes the Web Document that describes that entity.

You can't actually get referents from HTTP protocols: for that, you have actually read (and understand) the documents that specify the referents.

Still, this is all excellent progress.

Pat