Re: [community] from W3C….Fwd: Proposal: "User" header field

On 7/19/13 11:10 AM, Torsten Lodderstedt wrote:
> Hi Kingsley,
>
> so your are essentially saying, the user agent (or a similar
> application) sets a URL, which the server uses in turn to obtain some
> values.

To be precise, an end-user would (via UI/UX) have the *option* to
provide a URI that's added to the HTTP payload via an HTTP client (e.g.,
a Browser or other User Agents).

> These values are used to meet access control decisions. Did I get this
> right?

The header values would then be incorporated into a mechanism for
protected resource access control and anything else that benefits from
verifiable identity.

> How does the server ensure the caller is the user represented by this
> URL?

Through the logic of "shared secrets" and "mirrored claims" . This is
just about the ability to make an verify claims based on logic.

> So for example, how would you prevent an attacker from sending your
> user id URL to the server (and in turn impersonating you on this server)?

The server would verify identity based on logic. For instance, it can
verify that the user agent is being driven by an entity that has access to:

1. private key which was used to make a signature -- stored locally and
accessed via native OS UI/UX controls (e.g., Keychain on Mac OS X)
2. certificate bearing claims that are mirrored in the document to which
the URI resolves
3. any other relationship that the data access policy deems worthy .

Note, this already works. We are just seeking to simplify exploitation
entry points.

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/UuWZSI -- various posts about this matter
2. http://bit.ly/UDlwc6 -- multi-identifier and multi-protocol based