Getting Serious about WebID Bootstrap

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 07:36:21 -0400
To: "public-rww@w3.org" <public-rww@w3.org>, WebID XG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>
All,

Bootstrapping anything on the Web requires technology implementer to use
(dog-food) whatever technology they seek to promote to others. Thus, I
would like to encourage every participant in the RWW and WebID community
groups to make a best-effort to start signing emails, moving forward.

Naturally, these emails should be signed using an WebID watermarked
X.509 certificate. Certificate generation choices include:

1. Native generators that come with your desktop OS -- Mac OS X,
Windows, and Linux all include such a utility
2. Certificate generators from WebID IdPs -- I have a list here:
http://delicious.com/kidehen/webid+webid_idp (ping me if you have a
generator that's unlisted) .

Over the last year or so, I've written a number of how-to guides [1]
covering how to sign emails across all the major native email clients.

Once again, if we don't sign our emails we loose a simple opportunity to
showcase the utility of WebIDs and the WebID authentication protocol.
Being able to follow-your-nose from a WebID that watermarks an email
senders certificate is a very simple utility showcase for both WebID and
Linked Data.

We can do this!

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/VTnxzz -- collection of G+ hosted howtos (for all the
major native email clients) covering how to digitally sign emails .

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder & CEO